Sparked By A Playlist...

So I thought I'd do something a little different with this blog entry. I've plugged my headphones into my iPod and I'm just going to press play. Let's see what the first ten songs have in store. At first, I was going to do five, but there'd be NO way I could pick just five… so yeah, ten will work!

Here we go …



1. The One by Mary J ft. Drake… wait, DRAKE is in this?! Totally forgot about that… ANYway, I remember downloading this song after I saw Mary in that AT&T commercial. You know the one where she STRUTS and her phone changes as often as her clothes do hahah. About a week later, I went to a dance class at the Dance Complex and what song are we dancing to?? Yup. The one lyric that sticks out the most belongs to Drake *gag* (no offense to those who are a fan, but I'm not) "I ain't saying that I'm requesting anyone that's perfect, but I just need a woman that'll make it all worth it."




2. I Am Not My Hair by India.Arie ft. Akon… One of those songs that made me fall in love with India. I mean, I've heard "Video" and "Ready for Love", which in my opinion is one of the greatest love songs of ALL time… but I digress. I remember playing this song a lot when I lived in Florida. And that was right around the time I had cut off all of my hair. At the time, this song just validated that decision I had made to cut it off. As she says, "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."





3. Another Part of Me by Michael Jackson… now who would I be if M.J. didn't pop up on this list? ;) I remember hearing this song when I was about 8 years old. I was in Orlando FL with the family. We were exiting the Space Mountain ride at Epcot and this song was playing as we walked out. To this day, every time I hear this song, I think of that Spring at Space Mountain. So of course the lyric that pops the most is kind of fitting, "This is our planet. You're one of us." Go figure!



4. Where Are We Runnin'? by Lenny Kravitz… this is one of those songs I used to listen to ALL of the time in traffic when I lived in Miami. Talk about the irony in that! This song never really made sense to me, but it's Lenny so I figured; a good beat, sexy voice, seriously insane guitar playing… why not?! "Keep the skin tight and the booty in the air." I'll never understand that lyric, but I'll always love it!



5. I Want Crazy by Hunter Hayes… I suppose I have have my dancer buddy Judy (http://mcdisaster.blogspot.com. shameless plug, so?) to thank for this. During the spring, she gave me this and a couple of other songs to listen to by Hunter. I'm like "am I really listening to country?" And then I thought, "am I really starting to LIKE country?" This song just talks about the taking that "leap of faith" and not being so conventional when it comes to love. It's just a fun song and this probably ranks top five in my iTunes given that this was on repeat a lot over the summer. "We're the kind of crazy people wish they could be."  You better believe that! ;)





6. End of Time by Beyoncé… AHHHH this SONG!! My crew did a dance to this about 2 years ago! When I first heard this song, I must've replayed this about 10 times in a row. I went to rehearsal later that week and when our choreographer said we were dancing to this, I literally collapsed (dramatically so) onto the floor! I was too excited! It's a kick ass love song and will always be one of my faves by the queen herself! "You don't have to worry about me. I promise I'll set your heart free. Let my love into your soul, you go. I go. We go, that's all she wrote!"




7. Life Is A Highway by Tom Cochrane… what can I say about this song? I've loved this song for as long as I can remember. My mom and I used to take road trips to visit my uncle who lives in CT. This song was on replay up until we hit I-84… yeah, we played it THAT many times! It's one of those songs that you crank it up so loud you can't hear your own voice while your singing/screaming it! Rascal Flatts did a remake of this song that's really good, but nothing beats the original version!
"There ain't no road that I can't hold. Roads so rough this I know. I'll be there when the light comes in just tell 'em we're survivors!"



8. Dile by Don Omar… oh hey reggaeton! Growing up in Chelsea, this style of music is a part of your childhood/adolescence, whether your Spanish or not. Maybe it's the beat. Maybe it's the way Don Omar sings this song. Maybe it's because I really have NO clue what he's saying other than "Another Night". "Porque con llorar no se compone. Entonces a mi dame otra noche." Oh heyyyy. I know what he's saying there…. sorta.



9. It's Not Right But It's Okay (Thunderpuss Mix) by Whitney Houston… This song will always have a special meaning for me. Not because of the lyrics, but because when I was in high school, we had a lip sync contest (yes, because those are more fun than an actual singing contest) and I remember performing this in front of a fairly decent chunk of the student body... and before I went on stage, I thought I was going to puke and/or pass out. I went out on stage, dancing & "singing" my heart out, and hearing my friends cheer me on. I was awarded 2nd place. Some girl in my class did "Thriller" and got 1st place. Seriously, I couldn't compete with that! But that was a great day and even though Miss Houston is no longer here, this song will always remind me of how fun that day was for me! "I can pay my own rent. Pay my light bill. Take care of my babies. Oh! Oh. Oh OH!"




10. All N My Grill by Missy Elliott… this album was EVERYTHING back when I was in college. In college, my advanced hip-hop girls & I did a step to this at the end of our routine for our annual showcase. It was not easy teaching that step, but every time I hear this song, I find myself doing the step that I had taught them… usually in the car, stuck in traffic on my way home from work! ha "See Trix are for kids & boo, I'm too old!"




__________________________________________________________________________________________



Of course the next song on the playlist is "The Way You Make Me Feel." <--anyone who knows me knows that's my all time fave MJ song, BUT maybe for another blog on another day. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I had putting this together. xoxox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be From Boston... It's More Than Just An Accent

Some Things I Will Never Understand...

It's About Being A Human... Period.