Some Things I Will Never Understand...

You knew some type of response was going to happen (by yours truly) with all of this "gay" news going on. Let's be real, it's just too important to NOT talk about… and with that, here we go!



Between Jason Collins & Michael Sam (if you don't know who they are, stop reading and go Google them NOW!), the conversations across the country are a'brew'n! The state of Arizona is trippin', Republicans want to ban gays from playing in the NFL... I swear if it's not one thing, it's another. How the hell did we get here? Seriously, how? Because I don't understand… I don't understand why MY loving a woman affects YOUR life in any way. I've never known heterosexual relationships to affect my life whatsoever, soooo how does my being with a woman affect your relationships again??


In case you didn't already know, which I'm sure somewhere buried in your brain you're well aware of this "little" known fact, gays. are. EVERYWHERE! I'm willing to bet that every team in the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS and whatever other sport acronyms you want to throw in this pool, there is at least ONE gay bird (my lovingly affectionate term for all of my rainbow'd folk) on one of those teams, and that number might actually be higher. Oh, you know that one person in your family you've always "wondered" about…Guess what? They're gay too!



And for the LOVE OF PETE being gay is not a choice! Who in their right mind CHOOSES to be gay? Because it makes sense to voluntarily live a life where you face a never ending parade of being ridiculed, side-eyed, judged, potentially lose friendships/family relationships... I mean I could literally go on, but to avoid reaching levels of ridiculousness, I won't. But seriously, please let that thought go!

Seriously!

It saddens me when I here "Anti-Gay Bill", "Gay Rights" being compared to Civil Rights (which I agree these ARE civil rights) or this uproar in the manliest of manly sports because a kid decided he wanted to change what that conversation looks like… You would think it's the 1960s all over again, except it's not just black and white anymore, now it's in color. Literally, it's a rainbow! Still wondering though… How did we get here? It's 2014, and it feels like society's mentality is something out of the stone age!! We've taken 3 steps forward and 12 steps back. I don't want to discount the fact that we've really come so far with a lot of social issues, BUT with everything that's been going on lately, we've proven that we have SO much more progress that has yet to be made.


It's unfortunate we live in a society where EVERY thing (and every one) needs to have a label. Why can't we just love each other for who we are AS we are? I couldn't help being gay anymore than I could've helped being African American, and Irish American, and Native American, and a female and gay… see where this is going? Where this hatred towards humans come from?! Maybe it's a lack of compassion. Lack of understanding. Lack of open-mindedness or D.) all of the above. Who knows? I guess there are just Some Things I Will Never Understand…


Comments

Unknown said…
Fantastic read and well written! Great job and you hit the issue right on the head! Your opinion is not only personal but it's a fight for human rights and we all deserve it!
Thank you very much Jaime! I really appreciate that! I'm just trying to do whatever I can to keep the convo going... :)
Tootz said…
It is very interesting that the Republicans, in Arizona, want to ban "gays" from the NFL. I would question them of how they know who is gay or not. I also feel that banning gays is part of a hate crime. Though is my opinion, the Republicans have no right to remove such beings. Religious or not, I still feel that their wants of removal is of ignorance. Correct, I believe in human rights and I feel this is going against their rights and belief of their being.

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be From Boston... It's More Than Just An Accent

It's About Being A Human... Period.