What It Means To Be From Boston... It's More Than Just An Accent

Every day of my life (or at least for as long as I could talk), I'm constantly asked to repeat what I just said because my Boston accent is so thick that if you're not from here, chances are you have NO clue what I just said.

Promise, I said Cah Keys, not Khakis!

Being from Boston, it's more than just "an accent" <--I really should get a shirt that says that. It really is a way of life. So many aspects of life are so different here in this little section of the country, I felt it was necessary to write a blog post about this city, especially since once upon a time, I really disliked being here. But as I've grown, I've gained a new appreciation for my home town... of course it took me moving to Miami to really appreciate life here...

BUT for those of you who have never been here and are thinking about visiting one day, here's what you need to know.

 


They're not milkshakes; they're Frappes.
If it is carbonated AND flavored, it is tonic.
Pop refers to DAD.
When we want Tonic Water, we will ask for TONIC WATER.

It is not a water fountain; it is a bubblah.
It is not a rubber band, it is an elastic.
It is not a hero or a grinder; it is a sub.
It is not a shopping caht; it is a carriage.
It is not a purse; it is a pockabook.
It is not a traffic circle, it is a rotary.
It is not a trash can; it is a barrel.

How to say certain cities in Mass... you HAVE been warned!
Worcester : Wuhsta
Gloucester : Glawsta
Leicester : Lesta
Woburn : Woobin
Dedham : Dead-um
Revere : Re-vee-ah
Quincy : Quinzee
Tewksbury : Tooks-ber-ry
Leominster : Le-min-sta
Peabody : Pee-ba-dee
Waltham : Walth-ham
Chatham : Chaddum
Route 128 South is I-95 south. It is also I-93 north.
The underground train is not a "subway". It is the "T", and it does not run all night. This ain't New Yawk

There is no school on School Street, no court on Court Street and no water on Water Street (I swear I didn't make that up).
Back Bay Boston streets are in alphabetical ordah: Arlington, Berkeley,  Clarendon, Dartmouth, etc.
If the streets are named after trees (ex. Walnut, Chestnut, Cedar), you're in Beacon Hill.
If they are named after poets, you're in Wellesley.
Commonwealth Avenue is Comm Ave.
Massachusetts Avenue is Mass Ave.
South Boston is Southie.
East Boston is Eastie.
The South End is the South End (no bullshit).

When talking about sports, "The Sox" are the Red Sox, "The Cs" are the Celtics, "The Bs" are the Bruins & "The Pats" are the Patriots. Sports are not just "sports" here, it's more of a religion.

The lights on top of the OLD Hancock will tell you about the weather...
“Solid blue, clear view.”
“Flashing blue, clouds due.”
“Solid red, rain ahead.”
“Flashing red, snow instead.” except in summah, flashing red means the Red Sox game was rained out! <--good to know!

If something is really good it's Wicked Awesome.
If something is really REALLY good, it's Wicked Pissah.
If something is really bad, it's Wicked Pissah... yeah, you read that right!

And above all else, do not... I repeat do NOT do the following!!!!
Neva Eva EVA ask a Bostonian to "Pahk Ya Cah In Hahvahd Yahd" unless you really wanna get the stank eye... so DON'T do it!!

Hope you had as much fun reading this as I did putting it together! :) Any questions, feel free to ask me... and if you can't understand me, pull this up! ;)



Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm from Boston and there are things in this blog I didn't know. Re: What the flashing lights on the Hancock Tower meant... I love this Blog....very interesting. GREATJOB!
Unknown said…
love it! my non-Bostonian husband will get a kick out of this
Anonymous said…
I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is wicked awesome
Anonymous said…
Totally wicked awesome, I thought everyone knew this information.
Cthis is a Wicked Pissah!! 😉

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things I Will Never Understand...

It's About Being A Human... Period.