Life After Grad School... Don't Ask... I'm Serious

As we steadily approach the 3 month mark since graduation, the proverbial "what now" floats through my brain at time where I would normally be doing homework. The time for celebrating has passed, graduation season is officially "over" and the questions about my impending future have continued to "pop up". I sit here, in the hallway, of an apartment I've lived in since age 9, and I wonder, what's next?


While scrolling through all of the news feeds on too many social platforms, soon after wishing I had spent my time doing something productive, I watch some of my colleagues I just graduated with do amazing things and what appears to be the time of their lives. Sure, I shouldn't take everything I see so literal. After all, it is social media. But that doesn't stop the thought of "what the hell am I doing with my life" from crossing my brain on more occasions than I'd care to admit. I make to-do lists, I apply myself at what I feel I'm good at, rationalize what I'm qualified for with this degree, etc. and so forth.


I have had several conversation with many different people about my my future and more often than not, these conversations can get awkward quickly because I have no clue how to answer them. So I thought it could be fun (but mostly helpful) if I came up with a small sampling of these "awkward" questions you may want to rethink when you're talking with someone who has recently graduated,... that is if you decide you want to ask them in the first place:

What do you want to do with your degree? Clearly I'd like to do something with it. What that something is exactly, I'm still not sure. I'm still trying to figure this out. Maybe when I do, I'll be sure to let you know... maybe.

Did you find a job yet? This question can be tough for some because not everyone may have been able to find the ideal job that directly correlates with the degree we've just obtained. Between the late night group meetings, Capstone presentations, all we were trying to do (in that moment) was graduate. Our thoughts beyond that, for some, may have been limited to graduation day.

You know you'll miss school, right? No. Actually. I won't. I won't miss working full-time while going to school full-time, and then having to go to meeting upon meetings when every brain in the room is beyond exhausted from the full days we just endured. So when I see back to school commercials, the only thing I'll miss is saving a bunch of money on school supplies. That's about it!

So what's next? I have absolutely no clue, but thanks for reminding me of the impending fear of inadequacy rushing in like a tsunami approaching the beach with no chance of escape. Yeah, it sounds dramatic, but it's also very VERY true.


In no way am I saying you shouldn't ask questions to a recent graduate, but rather than rubbing additional salt into a barely healed wound, it might help to ask questions to come from a place of empathy, maybe even offer a suggestion or two. Like "how's it going?" or "how are you adjusting after school?" type of questions. The blanket statements are tough to answer, as I imagine they must be just as hard to ask.

But here is what I do know. I have absolutely no clue what my next step is, and you know something? That's OK! Everyone's plan is different. My timeline is not in sync with anyone else's. So whatever it is my colleagues and I are going to do next remains to be seen. Whether we are making our lives look fantastic on social media, holding down several jobs to pay for our newly incurred student debt, just know that we (too) are trying to figure out this life outside grad school, and not to worry... we'll get there!*

xoxox

*If there are typos, or things don't make sense, here is my official apology. Hopefully, you get what I mean.😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be From Boston... It's More Than Just An Accent

Some Things I Will Never Understand...

It's About Being A Human... Period.