2013... Did you learn anything? I'd Say So!

As we approach another end of another year, everyone whips out a piece of paper and writes down their "wish" for in the next year. Let's try something different shall we? A particular question has recently popped up quite a few times, and it really got me thinking... "If you could tell your 18 year old self anything, what would it be?"


Well, that depends... on a lot. What exactly would I be telling them... mysef? Living life? What my twenties looked like? What love looks like? How life often plays what we adults like to call a "cruel joke" but not too worry TOO much, as the punchline always reveals some type of lesson?



This has been the year of lessons...  in Love. Trust. Growth.

Not many people knew I was in a relationship for the entire year. I didn't even know I was in one, really. I took a different approach to this than with any other previous relationships (Not that I had a lot of experience with being in one, but since it had been about 7 years since my last one, I figured I'd try something new). I didn't plan anything. I just let it happen. As a result, it has pushed me beyond levels I didn't know existed. I've learned about what I can handle, what I think I can't (but really can) and fully comprehended the concept of understanding, and I feel we've only scratched the surface. 2014 will be beyond fascinating and I. Can't. WAIT!



2013 is yet another year in which my trust was tested. The manner in which I'm handling it now versus when I was 18 years old is monumental. I don't unnecessarily stress out over anyone who doesn't want to be a part of my life. Nor do I wonder why they're not returning calls/vmails/texts, etc. You win some, You lose some. That cycle never changes. I feel as thought I'm a pretty cool on my own accord and if you can't see that and/or don't want to be a part of that, there's the door!



Of course the quote "If I knew then what I know now" popped into my head. Then again, if I knew then what I actually do know now, would I be the same person? Is there anything I would really want to change about the path I've taken if I knew then what I know now? Mmmmm, probably not. Given everything I've been through, I wouldn't change any of it. I like who I've become and I'm excited to see who I'm growing to be... <-- see what I did there? ;) ha!

If I were to tell my 18 year old self anything, it would this: Don't be afraid too afraid to take chances. You're going to make mistakes, more so in your "adult" life than you could ever imagine and it's all going to be okay. Those who can handle being in your life will always be there. Don't worry about the ones who aren't there anymore. Not all relationships (friends, family, the latter) are meant for "Forever". It's okay to be selfish every so often, when it's conducive to your growth. So keep living life the best way you know how... oh, and keep dancing! It gets better as you get older. ;) <--Ironically, sounds like I'm talking to my 31 year old self too. Nice...

So what can I expect from 2014? Nothing. Nothing but love, life... and of course, dance! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What It Means To Be From Boston... It's More Than Just An Accent

Some Things I Will Never Understand...

It's About Being A Human... Period.